Sunday, March 9, 2008

What is a Memoir?

The difference, so they say, is your life condensed into little bite sized pieces. I guess so no one has to sit thought the whole reading at one time or be so bored you wished you'd never started reading this. It makes it easier to compose also.
I thought it would make it a bit more steamy, but no just condensed. OK, So what does one write about. Whatever comes to mind that happened in your life. Of course it could turn into that long novel, but who would believe the half of it? Sometimes even I don't believe what just happened. And how many times have I heard.... "You should write a book!"
Well the reason I don't is because, I'm an artist. Paint, thread, beads,fabric, and I can do wonders. I love creating from those things. Oh, I did some writing in my younger years. Stringing words together is a lot like stringing pretty beads, but I'll always be an artist first. I've painted and sold over 100 painting in my life, as well a costumes and all kinds of needlework. I'll never get tired of that play of color, richness of fabric and listening to it "talk" to me. What do you want to be? How can I make you up and into what? Sometimes I hear those silent voices all around me, and other times I have to strain to hear anything at all.
It's taken me over 20 years to figure out what one piece of cloth, bought on a SCA trip to Idaho, wanted to be. But it's almost done now, and it's turning out to be one of the best pieces of work I've done. Real pearls have a loud voice.
So what's in your life that has a silent "voice"? What do you hear in the still of a moment when you are trying to decide which way to go? Does something call to you? Are you ignoring it, that thing you really wanted to do and be? Don't!
Follow your heart, for better or worse, make it so. It isn't going to make your life easy, in fact sometimes it's really hard to follow your dreams. Even harder still to walk away from something you really wanted, but nothing you could do would change the outcome. No one overcomes all the obstacles in their path. However, if you can stay true, to what makes up what is really you, then you will have done something. Don't let life pull you down into the gutter. It's not safe down there.
I read something one time that really hit me, and I've always remembered it.
"Reach for the stars, at least then you won't come up with a handful of mud."
I may have only touched a star or two, but at least I'm not holding mud.
Until next time,
Blessing be upon you,
Deirdre

No comments: