Thursday, March 13, 2008

Waiting for UPS!

Why am I waiting for the ups truck? Despite the fact my cats run and hide whenever they see or hear that big brown truck coming down the drive {they just know it's going to eat them}, today I will be getting a late christmas present to myself.
  This one is special, and it brings to mind one that was just as special way back when I was 6 or 7 years old. Those were the days when we didn't have much money. Expensive presents just didn't happen. All my girlfriends had these 21" Madam Alexander dolls, with high heels and beautiful clothes. 
I wanted one so bad!
I don't remember much about that summer, even though my mother went to work at a fabric store. But, when she took me to the toy store and said, "Which one do you like?", I still thought long and hard before answering her. The ones in their undies were nice but plain. The ones in the ball gowns, were really expensive. The middle group wore street clothes, of suits and fancy dresses. Maybe, just maybe if I said one of those, I might get one for christmas?
  I picked out a blond in a dark navy blue taffeta dress, with hat, hose, and high heels, and a white petticoat. My mother asked me was I sure? I'd loved to have had one of the most expensive ones, but I knew we couldn't afford one.
  Can you believe a child could think though everything and draw that conclusion? I did.
The waiting began. Months before christmas, and at night I'd wish on a star for my doll. I remember the day we went to the toy store again, and the doll I'd picked out was gone. I cried, but my mother said maybe they will get another one. She hadn't promised me that doll after all. Then a different kind of waiting began. Hoping that somewhere out there, another doll just like the one I picked out, would find it's way to the toy store. I never thought to choose another one. I wanted the one I had picked out.
  When christmas came, my mother and her sisters, and mother were all in a bedroom,laughing and talking about something. The door was locked and I couldn't get in. When I asked to come in they said no. I cried because my feelings were hurt, and I was being left out. A few minuets later the door was unlocked, and they let me in. But nothing was going on that I could see, so after a while, I went off to play. I still remember my grandmothers house in Oklahoma, and the tree in the parlor.
  Christmas morning I got up and ran to see what was under the tree. There was a big suitcase, but no doll. Boxes, but non looked big enough. We had to eat breakfast first, before opening presents. What a long wait!
  When I opened that big suitcase..... there she was, my beautiful lady in high heels. And clothes my mother had made for her. That was what they were doing in the bedroom the night before, playing with my doll. lol. Proving to me right then, you don't have to be a kid to play dolls.
  So back to the UPS truck. He's bringing me a lovely redheaded 21" Madam Alexander doll. She was even more expensive, but one that like the very first one, I wanted to have for christmas.
  It's a little late, but then it's taken me a while to get her paid for, and I can wait for something worth having.
  And that's the moral to the story. Go after the things you really, really want, and if you work for them, they will mean more to you. So many people buy things, don't take care of them, break them and discard them, without ever really considering did they really want that, or was it just a whim? When something they really want comes along, they whine about not having money to pay for it. Well, of course not. You spent it on that thing you didn't really want, broke, and threw away. If you don't take care of what you have, it won't be there tomorrow.
  Unlike my 150 year old furniture, you will have nothing to show for yourself.
So when the cats run for cover today, I'll know the UPS guy is here with my doll. Then, I'm going to "play dolls" {my form of stopping to smell the roses}. I hope you have something equally fun to do today.
Until, next time.
Blessing be upon you,
Deirdre

No comments: