Saturday, January 7, 2012

Go For It!

Sometimes you have something on the back burner that you just can't figure out how to do. Not enough info, lack of creativity, tired, or just plain overwhelmed by what you are trying to do.
  I have been trying to get at something for two years. A project that will be a present for my dad. Two years of struggling to figure out just how to do what I wanted to create. It has not been easy.
  Last year I got started doing the research, and that wasn't easy to find something really good in the way of pictures.I wanted WWII war planes, of one kind. What my dad was a bombardier and flew in during the war. But I did manage to find some. Then another big search for fabric. I didn't know yet just what it was going to look like. Ground at the bottom, sky at the top? All sky? So I collected about 20 or so fabrics of sky, clouds, whites and grays, grounds of rocks, trees etc. Also a number of grays and silvers, with and without prints, darks and lights and a lot of in-betweens. Then I got stalled out.
  Did I want just one large plane? Two, three, or a whole flight?
  This is the story of what turned into a two year long struggle deciding what to do and how to create it. There are no how-to books on this one, so it's all trial and error. You use what you have and do know, and create the rest as you go.
  Last winter I got the background done.
Doesn't look like much now but it really does in person.
  Then summer came and went and I didn't get much more done.
This past few months has seen a lot of work on the planes. I have almost completed the main bomber.

Six layers or so of fabric laid down one at a time, and the final highlights yet to be added after it's applied to the background and I have a plane.
This is what the drawing started out as and the highlights are taped in place so I don't lose or confuse them. Made of vinyl they would melt if I tried to iron them in place, so they will be glued in place after the main body is ironed in place on the background.
  I also decided on adding two other planes to the picture, and have them yet to do. But I have picked out the framing and {a beautiful 4" deep silver shadow box molding that will really bring your attention to this plane.
  There is a lot more work to do and more detailing that can only be done when this is laid down on the background.
  Needless to say, it's come a long way, baby!

No comments: